11 December 2007

The Amazing Powers of Tea Tree Oil

Tea Tree Oil is a natural anti-septic that I have used in the past on cuts and I've found it works so effectively that I don't even bother with other things like neosporin. I came to this conclusion after Pentaport Rock Festival in Korea. It was held outside, it was the rainy season, and the grounds were turned into a giant mud-pit, complete with bits of asphalt and rocks and who-knows-what. If you've ever tried to walk through 6 inch deep mud you know that the suction power is incredibly strong--making shoes just ridiculous. Over the course of 3 days our feet got cut up pretty badly, and I can only imagine what horrors were living in that mud. The only thing I had with me to treat the cuts on my feet was tea tree oil, which I applied evening and morning. One of my friends did not. Whereas my cuts did not get infected and healed quite quickly, hers did not. I always travel now with tea-tree oil.

My recent tea tree oil discovery was when I haphazardly decided to put it on my mosquito bites when I had it out to put on a cut and some mysterious cluster of bites on my knee. A few days later someone asked if I had gotten any mosquito bites (we were talking about malaria medications). I realized that since I applied the tea tree oil I hadn't scratched those bites, and they were even healed! I never before even considered putting tea-tree oil on insect bites, but I'm so glad I did! I know it's now winter in most parts of the world, and mosquitoes aren't much of an issue, but come next summer give the tea tree oil a try!

Some other tid-bits about tea tree oil, it's safe to use on your skin, but DON'T get it in your eyes or mouth. Also, it's a dry oil, so you can apply it to your face for things like pimples and eczema and it's absorbed instantly without making your skin oily. You can find it at health food stores like Whole Foods and Vitamin Cottage, but as grocery stores have started carrying more organic items you may find it there too. Happy Healing! (too bad itwon't save me from Ebola!)

No comments:

Post a Comment