01 December 2007

EBOLA KILLS 16

This was the headline I spotted as I jumped into a Matatu headed into town. If you've read "The Hot Zone" fear ran through your veins as it did mine when you saw that title. Apparently the outbreak started in August in a district in the west (on the border with DR Congo) but was only identified (via samples sent to be tested in the US) yesterday. The numbers in the article seem conflicting to me (you may be able to read it at http://www.newvision.co.ug/), but there are something like 51 people infected. The WHO (World Health Organization, not the band!) is involved to contain it, and it's a good distance away from Kamapala (and I'm headed further east this weekend anyway), but it was a striking headline and definately something I'll be paying attention to. My internet time is about to run out, so I'll just leave you with that frightening news, haha! I had the brilliant idea of typing up blogs on my laptop at home and then transferring them to my blog as I've found a few places with a wireless connection, but as of yet that hasn't worked out too well. So at some point you'll be innundated with postdated blogs. Oh! Another shocking read in the paper today was a letter to the editor about how colonialism was a positive thing for Africa! This was not somethign I ever expected to hear from an African. Personally I think his arguements about the introduction of the english language and that curious people "deserve colonies" both severly underestimate the African people and seem erronious. Anyway, I found it shocking. But like I said, internet time running out, so more thoughts later!

No comments:

Post a Comment